Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why do you write?

I wanted to elaborate a bit more on yesterday's post. While writing is a necessity for most of us, I was curious as to why you do it? Yes, we love it, but what is the driving force behind it?

I know I write because I love to create, and there's so much going on in my head that if I didn't put it down somewhere and get it out, I would go crazy. Most of my emotions go into my writing and the story sometimes takes a turn depending on how I'm feeling at the time (not that it's always a good thing). It's not only a great outlet, but also a form of escapism.

I write when I need a break from everyday complicity, when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I want to think about something else, when I need to vent--the list goes on.

And lastly, yet probably the most obvious, although not everyone agrees...

I want to be published.

Plain and simple. I want to see my name and my words in print. Maybe it's the feat of overcoming that obstacle, chasing the white rabbit, obtaining that elusive goal, but I want it.

Now, of course, it's your turn: Why do you write?

16 comments:

Jayne said...

I write as I cannot imagine not. It... well, it completes me, makes me who I am. Without it I'd feel empty. In a way it is the safety blanket I carry around with me. :)

Jai Joshi said...

I write because I think of it as my purpose. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't have been born with this drive to write if I hadn't been meant to do something with it, like inspire people or make them see something different in the world to what they're used to.

I couldn't do anything else.

Jai

Aubrie said...

I write to escape into another world. It helps me deal with life and everything in it. Great question!

Joanne said...

I think writing is simply a part of who I am. There's no arguing with it, it's here to stay, and somehow, someway, I'll always find a way to get those words on paper :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

I write because there have been books I want to read that haven't been written yet.

Jan Cline said...

It's a passion and the world needs all the good literature we can give it. And sure, we all want to be published.

Chris Catledge said...

I write because I believe that's my purpose.

Anonymous said...

I write for the same reasons everyone else does. I do it because I enjoy it; I do it because it relaxes me and allows me to concentrate on creating rather than confronting a bad reality for the moment; and because I want to be published. I want to have the assurance that I've finally mastered what I've worked at for so long now, and I want my readers to realize something great about themselves through my writing. That right there may be the biggest reason: I want to move someone, to affect them in some way.

rebel_of_nowhere said...

I write because I have to...there's nothing else that makes me as happy as writing does. It lets me escape the real world for a bit, and maybe make it a bit of a better one.

Stephanie Lorée said...

I write to entertain my readers, to tell the stories in my head so I don't go crazy, and, if I'm really honest with myself, to gain some measure of immortality. Someday I will die, but the written word will hopefully last forever.

Hannah said...

Writing, for me, is a very therapeutic experience. I need to create problems and either write out solutions or illustrate that some problems have no solutions.

And it's not that I want to write but I need to write.

Great question!!

Talli Roland said...

I write because I love the feeling of creating a world, and developing a story. Seeing something take shape, and completing something to the best of my ability.

And I want to be published, too!

Terri Tiffany said...

As Jan said, it is our passion to do it! I can't imagine not writing. I also feel as though it's what God would want me to do so I'm trying!

WritingNut said...

Thank you all for sharing - you each have such wonderful and interesting reasons for why you do what you love :)

Lydia Kang said...

I love the idea of telling a story that others want to read. But I agree with all the reasons you have too!

Farzana said...

I write poems mainly because it helps me to express my feelings especially when I am sad and sometimes simply for enjoyement :)