Friday, June 11, 2010

Wait! Wait up for me!

So we briefly touched upon this subject on Wednesday (and I apologize for moving this post to Friday - besides getting distracted, I thought it might be some nice food for thought over the weekend).  
To recap: "Some of us are born ready to take the world by storm, while some of us are biding our time, slowly crawling out of our shells".

Let's face it. Some of us were meant to be in the spotlight. Others--not so much. I've been reading quite a few blogs/comments lately where writers are worried they're not good enough, they're not writing fast enough or they don't have what it takes to be a full fledged author. Sure--they like to write, but liking something and attaining it are two very different things. Maybe. But doing something? Anything? It counts! Trust me!

I think even the people that love the spotlight and are incredibly socially adept at making others gravitate towards them still have these same fears. They are completely natural, and you're no less or more for having them.
Writing (as well with many other forms of artistic expression - but this is the one we are focusing on here) is baring your soul.  And that's a hard thing to let others in on.  When we write, we're creating - creating the world as we see it, as it exists in our own minds.
Yes, we are all on the same path, but the journey is ours and ours alone.  The same thing that brings us together is also what makes us different - we are each unique, regardless of the type of writer we are.  Again, we are all on the same path, no matter how quickly or slowly we traverse down it.  
Keep in mind, almost all of these paths started with a dream - no, not literally (for all you Stephenie Meyer fans out there ;).
I mean the dream inside of you. You love to write. You love seeing the way the words grow and evolve on the page.  You love that as scared as you are, that someone, some day, might read those words, and love them as much as you do.
So, repeat after me: WE ARE NOT ALONE!  We're all in this together!  
Regardless of what type you are - the one racing towards the finish line, or the one in the corner, peeping out to see when it's safe - we're all starting at the same place, and we will all meet up there at the end and celebrate!
Happy Friday Everyone!  Have a great weekend, and I will see you Monday :)  As always, I would love to hear your comments.  Please share!  Do you agree?  Do you have anything to add?

9 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

What awesome inspiration for a Friday morning! I agree that we're all in the journey together. We may be in different places and our steps will be unique from anyone else's. But we can certainly draw encouragement from each other as fellow pilgrims.

Christina Lee said...

What a great post!!!! yes no matter how small just keep your head up and moving forward!

Theresa Milstein said...

I agree with everything you write here. The great thing about blogging is that now we can find one another, commiserate, and support one another.

Have a great weekend!

Lindsay said...

Great post. I love how supportive the blogging/writing community is. :)

WritingNut said...

Thanks for for your input everyone! :)

Melissa said...

What an excellent post. Really. This is so inspiring and so true. Everyone has the same fears. I know. In my Real Life (outside of the blogosphere) I know I'm a charmer, I make and keep friends easily and people always remark on how easily everything in my life seems to come to me. They forget I have emotions, that I have fears, that I struggle ( and boy do I have and had all of these, in spades). I have all the same fears as everyone else. I worry I'm not good enough. The one thing I really like about the blogosphere is I can express this, and people understand. People get it. Everyone is all so encouraging and supportive in the writer community. We all celebrate with each other constantly. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It makes this journey so much better.

WritingNut said...

Melissa - Thanks so much for sharing that. I know - I love how supportive everyone is in the writer community. No matter what, people are rooting for you. I've found confidence and motivation here that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

notesfromnadir said...

Long ago I read that writing is the life of the mind. This is very true.

There are lots of supportive people at blogger & it's a fine way to get feedback on your writing. It's also a fine way for you to support other writers.

You're correct in stating that we aren't alone. Because no one is isolated even tho' we think we are.

I also feel that the more we write, the better we get. So keep on writing! :)

Anonymous said...

Great inspiration! This is exactly why I'm glad I took up blogging, because I've learned so much from toehr blogs and become all the more stronger because of it!