Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And I can't fight this feeling anymore...

I'm frustrated. It's been almost 3 days, and I haven't had a chance to write - at ALL. I had a wedding to attend this weekend, and it was a LONG affair, which usurped the majority of my time.

Don't get me wrong--it was great--and nice to get out for a bit, but I was itching to get back to my little corner and write. I consoled myself with the fact that I would be home soon. When I got back however, things were exploding at work, and instead of writing, I ended up logging into the office, so once again, I was deprived of what I wanted to do. Needless to say, I was fuming.

And it got me thinking: when did writing become a necessity for me? Had it always been?

When I was younger, and throughout most of high school, I wrote every single day. EVERY single day, and it was so easy, and not much got in the way besides homework. I never had the chance to miss it. And it seemed like I had so much TIME (more on that later this week).

When University came around, other things were distracting me, and writing took a backseat, but I didn't mind so much because I figured I'd get back into it one day. Maybe. Probably. Unless life took another route...

For the past two years I've been writing consistently, as much as I can, and although life did take another route, it hasn't been any consolation, or gotten any easier. Because it's not the path I wanted to travel upon.

It really bugs me that things get in the way, although I know it's inevitable. I need to write,but I can't always just give into the urge on any whim. Even though I try to set aside time for it, things will pop up. Unavoidable things that have to be done.

So yes, writing is now a necessity to me. It's become an integral part of who I am, and I am downright antsy when I don't get to do it :).

What about you? Is writing a necessity for you? Do you find yourself wishing you were writing when you are caught up or busy with other things?


19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes. I think it's called welcome to adulthood.

laughingwolf said...

need more hours... or sleep less

*sigh*

Joanne said...

Yes, and you are now a confirmed writer! I usually have a small pocket journal with me so that I can, at the very least, jot down thoughts and ideas when I'm away from my desk. It helps :)

Aubrie said...

I know how you feel! I played at a wedding last weekend and it was 2 hours away. that's four hours in the car and then another 3 hours at the wedding. It took up the whole day and I didn't write a thing. I try to make up for it on days where I do have a lot of time. That's all I can do.

Kenda Turner said...

I'm always juggling! Too much I WANT to do, and not enough time (or best use of time) to get to it all. But writing has become more of a priority than ever. Can't not do that :-)

Theresa Milstein said...

Now I have the song in my head!

I can completely relate! I've been traveling, working a lot, and now visiting family. My writing is suffering. I'll be back home next week, and hope to get with a routine and stick with it.

Good luck!

Stephanie Lorée said...

My life is terribly busy, but I always make time to write. I use certain websites to help me stay on track. 750words.com happens to be my favorite place for the daily brainstorm.

rebel_of_nowhere said...

I definitely have to write enough, otherwise everything just feels off.

Erinn said...

I get bitchy when I don't write. It's one of the reasons why I started blogging--- to keep the bitch at bay.

I'm mentally writing all the time. But nothing feels better than sitting down at my computer and tapping away at those keys.

Dr. Mohamed said...

At least you got to write on your blog :)

Hey, I passed on the writing award that you gave me. Thanks again!

Talli Roland said...

I think writing can become a big part of your life - like eating and sleeping.

Writing is basically my job, but it's also something I do on the weekends, 'after hours' etc, because I love it.

notesfromnadir said...

I can relate only too well. The more you want to write, the more things get in your way.

But there is an upside to those disturbances. You might get more character studies that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Or maybe there's a new angle you haven't thought of yet but will be revealed during 1 of those interruptions.

Take it in stride & keep on writing!

Jemi Fraser said...

It's hard to fit it all in - and to always remember that real life comes first!

WritingNut said...

Alex - Yes, you may be right. Sucks, doesn't it?

LW - I know exactly what you mean. Not sleeping definitely seems to be the option far too often. Thank you for stopping by!

Joanne - I feel so honored :) You are correct, having some kind of a notebook handy is a great way to jot down your ideas for later.

Aubrie - Wow, that trek sounds exhausting. And you're right, we can't dictate life, so that's all we can do.

Kenda – My sentiments exactly! Life always does seem to be a constant juggling act.

Theresa – Ahhhhh...that song was stuck in my head all day too - I love it :). I hope that you are able to put that routine in place! I'm going to keep trying too.

Mesmerix – You are the BEST at finding these helpful sites! Thank you!

Rebel - Yes! That's exactly the problem. Strange, isn't it?

Erinn - Blogging definitely helps! I'm mentally writing too, but then I forget if I don't actually write it down!

Mohamed – This blogging business has turned out to be so amazing in more ways than one. And you are very welcome!

Talli – I agree with you. And isn't it the best job in the world? :D

Lisa - Sometimes it's like a never ending hurdle - you just have to keep trying to get over it. And in the end, you feel stronger and more satisfied because you were able to get over the bump.

Jemi - It IS. It's far to easy to get lost in that world sometimes.

Cruella Collett said...

I was pretty much exactly like that. When I was in school I wrote all the time. Maybe not every day, but at least on a regular basis. Everything from short stories to unfinished novels to whatever was bugging me that day. Then, when I went to university I almost stopped both reading and writing, overwhelmed by all the new respoinsibilities (and opportunities) I suddenly had. And even though I adjusted eventually, it took me the longest time to get back into writing.

By now I am stuck in the seemingly neverending "I want to write but I don't have the time but I want to write" cycle. I do try to keep my blog up and running, though, so that should count as writing (even if I barely do - to me "writing" equals fiction writing, for some reason)

Great post, and great blog :)

Lua said...

It is a necessity for me… I have the need to write and when other things get in the way I find myself frustrated and panicked, I have this absurd feeling that if I don’t write for a few days the urge and words will disappear and I’ll never be able to write again… I know its super silly but it does get me worried and I find myself making excuses to ignore life and go back to writing :)

WritingNut said...

Cruella - It's so true! It's funny how we take our time for granted, and we're always looking for more. Writing on your blog definitely counts and it's a great way to continue practicing in the meanwhile!

Lua - It's not super silly at ALL - I have the SAME fears! It's like worrying the well will dry up, but it won't :). We just have to keep finding time to write and keep believing in ourselves.

Amy said...

It is so hard to find to time to write. I realised a while ago that no one is going to give me extra time to write. Instead, I take back time for myself. I have to be quite selfish about it even if it makes me feel guilty.

WritingNut said...

Amy - I'm glad you do. Sometimes we have to give more than we're willing just to get those few extra hours in.