Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Honing Your Writing Skills

It's a fact. The more a person writes, the better at it they become. I've definitely noticed a very slight improvement over the last 3 failed drafts of my novel. In each one, the writing has gotten consecutively better, even though the story is still not coming out right.

I haven't been getting to write as much as I would like to over the last few weeks, and all the words just get bottled up inside, and eventually they start becoming jumbled. So then--how is my writing getting better if I'm barely writing at all?

Today it hit me.

While at work, I was trying to reword and decode a very long, frustrating email for public distribution. As I sat there, thinking my time could be better spent actually writing, I realized that's exactly what I was doing. I was writing. And I'm fortunate to be in a job where I constantly am writing, even though it's not the type of writing I would prefer to be doing.

I think every little bit helps. Writing in some form or fashion, whatever it is--helps. And your writing is improving, even if you think it's not.

I would like to throw this out there. What do you do to hone your writing skills? Are you currently in a job or situation which allows you to give your talent a workout?

Bye for now!




7 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

I agree- every little bit of writing helps. I try to write in my novels every day, but barring that I blog or do some other sort of writing.

Jan Cline said...

I think blogging actually hones writing skills. So does reading. I try to read good fiction and good writing books. But what it all comes down to is just writing. Practice, practice, practice.
Keep it up.

Amanda Sablan said...

It took me a good couple years of practice before I was confident that I was good enough to be a writer. What I did was write every day and pay very close attention to books I read or movies I watched.

Best of luck on your writing endeavors!

WritingNut said...

Stephanie - you're right - writing in some form everyday is important, regardless of what it is.

Jan - you're absolutely correct. Blogging is an excellent way to work on your writing skills. Sometimes you're practicing without even realizing it!

Amanda - that's a very good plan. We can learn a lot from the very things we are striving to achieve. They always say if you want to be a good writer, read!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Nishant said...

great blog
PPC Advertising India

Nicole MacDonald said...

Every little bit does help, I understand your frustration. I'm currently on my third re-work and I'm itching to work on Book Two of the series... *sigh* but I want Book One perfect first!

WritingNut said...

Nishant - Thank you for stopping by!

Nicole - I know how you feel. Sometimes it's hard to focus on something when new ideas are itching to get out. Good luck with your revisions!