Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Honing Your Writing Skills

It's a fact. The more a person writes, the better at it they become. I've definitely noticed a very slight improvement over the last 3 failed drafts of my novel. In each one, the writing has gotten consecutively better, even though the story is still not coming out right.

I haven't been getting to write as much as I would like to over the last few weeks, and all the words just get bottled up inside, and eventually they start becoming jumbled. So then--how is my writing getting better if I'm barely writing at all?

Today it hit me.

While at work, I was trying to reword and decode a very long, frustrating email for public distribution. As I sat there, thinking my time could be better spent actually writing, I realized that's exactly what I was doing. I was writing. And I'm fortunate to be in a job where I constantly am writing, even though it's not the type of writing I would prefer to be doing.

I think every little bit helps. Writing in some form or fashion, whatever it is--helps. And your writing is improving, even if you think it's not.

I would like to throw this out there. What do you do to hone your writing skills? Are you currently in a job or situation which allows you to give your talent a workout?

Bye for now!




7 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

I agree- every little bit of writing helps. I try to write in my novels every day, but barring that I blog or do some other sort of writing.

Jan Cline said...

I think blogging actually hones writing skills. So does reading. I try to read good fiction and good writing books. But what it all comes down to is just writing. Practice, practice, practice.
Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

It took me a good couple years of practice before I was confident that I was good enough to be a writer. What I did was write every day and pay very close attention to books I read or movies I watched.

Best of luck on your writing endeavors!

WritingNut said...

Stephanie - you're right - writing in some form everyday is important, regardless of what it is.

Jan - you're absolutely correct. Blogging is an excellent way to work on your writing skills. Sometimes you're practicing without even realizing it!

Amanda - that's a very good plan. We can learn a lot from the very things we are striving to achieve. They always say if you want to be a good writer, read!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Nishant said...

great blog
PPC Advertising India

Nicole said...

Every little bit does help, I understand your frustration. I'm currently on my third re-work and I'm itching to work on Book Two of the series... *sigh* but I want Book One perfect first!

WritingNut said...

Nishant - Thank you for stopping by!

Nicole - I know how you feel. Sometimes it's hard to focus on something when new ideas are itching to get out. Good luck with your revisions!